We would like our school district to move away from Polystyrene. After reading our information below please consider printing our petition and signing it. Return it to 474 ARMORY STREET SPRINGFIELD MA 01104.
WHY IT’S BAD
- It causes irritation to and affects workers in their skin, eyes, upper respiratory tract (where air travels through), and their gastrointestinal area.
- When heated it releases neurotoxins that (like stated before) causes respiratory tract irritation, asthma, kidney problems and cancer
- Doesn’t biodegrade naturally
- It’s made of petroleum (a highly polluting substance)
- Around 25 or 30 percent of landfills are plastic which includes polystyrene
- It breaks up into little pieces causing choking and clogging of the digestive systems of animals including birds, fish and other animals higher up in the food chain
- Has been outlawed in Taiwan, Portland, OR and Orange County, CA
- They’re made of recycled newsprint (paper primarily used for newspaper)
- They biodegrade
- They don’t need to be incinerated
- They only cost about 1 cent more than Styrofoam trays
- They don’t pollute the environment
- They don’t require dishwashers allowing lower costs than plastic trays
- They can be composted at schools with gardens
- They cost cities less money if they are composted correctly
- If the school does not need compost they can sell the soil made from the composted trays to raise money for the school
- MORE ABOUT THE BIODEGRADABLE TRAYS. The NPR (national public radio) http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/06/411986584/schools-say-ciao-to-plastic-lunch-trays-hello-to-compostable-plates
- CAFETERIA CULTURE (ABOUT STYROFOAM)
- EARTH RESOURCE FOUNDATION (ABOUT STYROFOAM)
- BLUE MENPACHI (STYROFOAM BLOG). This blog has good facts but we couldn't prove some of them true.
- CHICK FIL A PETITION (ABOUT STYROFOAM). This petition gives good facts about Styrofoam and gave us